The technique of sous vide cooking is derived from french term for ‘under vacuum’. By vacuum sealing food, it provides efficient transfer of the heat from water to the food. Heat transfer through water is about 11 times more efficient than transfer of heat through air. Pockets of air between the water and the food impedes the transfer and can result in uneven cooking. Removing the air from the cooking pouch by vacuum sealing ensures that the food will be efficiently—and evenly—cooked in the time specified.
Tips and Tricks for Optimal Sealing of All Foods
- Allow ample room at the top of the pouch; do not overfill.
- Position food evenly in the pouch, in a single layer, if possible.
- Raise the lid and slip the open pouch ends under the pouch tabs.
- Set your sealing preferences - select:
- Speed - NORMAL for most foods, GENTLE for delicate foods
- Food type - DRY for most foods, MOIST for juicier foods.
- Close the lid and press down firmly with both palms until the lid lock ‘clicks; thevacuum should begins automatically.
- If the pouch does not collapse around the food when you press down on the lid to vacuum/seal, press cancel to stop the process, press RELEASE, open lid, reposition the pouch and/or food within the pouch, and try vacuum sealing again. Important: Be sure to press the lid down firmly until you hear/feel the lid lock 'click'!
- If the pouch deflates, but the red SEAL ONLY light does not illuminate, press SEAL ONLY to trigger the sealing process manually.
- Store your sous vide sealer in the unlocked position to prevent compression of the foam sealing ring.
Tips and Tricks for Sealing Juicy Foods
- Always select the Moist setting for sealing juicy foods to ensure a stronger seal
- Watch the pouch as it collapses around the food; when liquid begins to climb the pouch, press Seal Only to trigger the seal before the moisture reaches the chamber.
- If liquid gets onto the chamber, absorb it from the well with paper towels, wipe the well clean with mild soapy water, and dry completely before using again or storing.
Tips for Sealing Liquids
SousVide Supreme VS3000 Sealer
Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device